Needlepoint Community and Events
By Cheryl Fall
- Visit the Needlepoint Forum and Blog
- Meet the Designers
- Needlepoint Clubs, Guilds and Organizations
- Needlepoint Boutiques and Shops
- Publications, Books and Tool Reviews
- Museums and Needlework Exhibits
- Reader Submissions and Show & Tell
Visit the Needlepoint Forum and Blog
Have a question or a tip you would like to share?
The Needlepoint Forum is the best place to post questions, share your thoughts, make recommendations, tell us what you're working on, and look for product. By posting your questions and comments in the Needlepoint Forum, it's right there for everyone to see and benefit from indefinitely. Using the forum is a terrific way for all of us to share information - and make new friends!
The blog is where you can find updates and Guide musings, posted every few days.
Meet the Designers
Designers are one of the cornerstones of the needlepoint community. In addition to designing, many of them also share their skills by teaching, or by jurying competitions. Here you'll find the biographies (in alphabetical order by surname) of many of the designers and artists shaping the world of needlepoint.
- Kaffe Fassett of the United Kingdom
- Orna Willis of Philadelphia
- Judy Harper of Texas
- Barbara Elmore of Arizona
- Terry Dryden of California
- Kay Taylor Fite of Washington State
- Felicity Hall of the United Kingdom
- Elizabeth Lay of Virginia
- Jane Nichols of Florida
- Janet Perry of California
Needlepoint Clubs, Guilds and Organizations
Connect with other needlepoint afficionados, or advance your skills by joining a guild in your area. Many organizations have local chapters or at-large communities, as well as needlepoint classes, magazines and publications.
- American Needlepoint Guild (ANG)
- Embroiderers' Guild of America (EGA)
- Embroiderers' Association of Canada (EAC)
- National Academy of Needlecrafts (NAN)
Needlepoint Boutiques and Shops
Looking for a shop or boutique specializing in needlepoint? Here you will find recommendations for needlepoint shops and boutiques submitted by your About.com needlepoint friends.
- Midwest United States
- Northeast United States
- Northwest United States
- Western United States
- Southwest United States
Publications, Books and Tool Reviews
There are many books available featuring gorgeous needlepoint patterns and stitches, and dozens of tools available for needlepoint. You'll find reviews for these items here.
- Needlepoint Now Magazine
- Berlin Work: Samplers & Embroidery of the Nineteenth Century by Raffaella Serena
- Glorafilia - The Ultimate Needlepoint Collection by Lazarus and Berman
- The Glorafilia Needlepoint Collection by Lazarus and Berman
- Glorious Needlepoint by Kaffe Fassett
- Fruits of the Earth by Hugh Ehrman
- A Passion for Needlepoint by Hayat Palumbo
- Victorian Needlepoint by Beth Russel
- Traditional Needlepoint by Beth Russel
- Flowers, Birds and Unicorns: Medieval Needlepoint by Candace Bahouth
- Les Petits Points de Casa Lopez (in French)
Museums and Needlework Exhibits
Many museums around the world feature needlepoint and needleart exhibits that are truly inspirational. Here you will find links to exhibits and collections featuring needlepoint from the past and present. Some of the sites allow you to search and view the collections online, so pull up your chair and enjoy a virtual tour or two.
- The Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A Museum), London
- Lacis Museum of Lace & Textiles, Berkeley, California
- Royal School of Needlework, London
- The National Museum of American History, Washington DC
- The Powerhouse Museum, Sydney, Australia
Reader Submissions and Show & Tell
Share your favorite needlepoint experience, tell us what you're working on, or share photos of past projects!